5.31.2009

nothing is a coincidence

well my friends, wedding season is in full bloom. 27 dresses....here I come. (I really think I may need a Katherine Heigl-esque closet for these beauties.)

Bachelorette party on Thursday night, wedding on Saturday, bridal shower today...and this is JUST the beginning. my bank account and brain are going to run out of funds and gift ideas.

But in the name of love, wonderful friends, their BIG day, and the creation of very original wedding reception bowed bouquets (because taping them on a plate is clearly way to easy)....I willingly accept my BM(bridesmaid) and MOH(maid of honor) duties and am blessed to be a part of each of their lives.

The pastor at my beautiful, ex-roommate, Amanda's wedding yesterday said something that created one of those light bolt, (bulb?) wow that was really deep stuff moments in my head...or if you're oprah- her favorite three lettered phrase ....an "AHA" moment.

He was explaining how NOTHING in life is a coincidence. It wasn't a coincidence that Amanda and her now husband Chris first met six years ago,and then five years later their lives kept crossing paths through multiple areas in their lives, and it wasn't a coincidence that they fell in love the way they did, and that their lives are now joined together forever for a lifetime of non-coincidental moments and memories (whew....i don't even know if that all made sense to me : )

Basically- the idea was this...when things happen, in your every day simple life- a conversation, meeting a new friend, choosing where to go to college or live or who to love- if you believe in your heart that God's plan is bigger than your own, then NOTHING is a coincidence.

I realize and respect that not everyone may agree with this, but for me- it's completely true. I know without a doubt in my mind that my life is not a matter of random shenanigans and dates and running errands and planning showers and parties. Rather, it is exactly as it is meant to be. In this moment, this day, these 23 years of my life. Nothing is a coincidence. There are WAY to many stories to back this up...but I'll refrain from blabbing on with more Starbucks meetings and random jobs (who works at a film festival when they literally can't think of anything other than films that their brain can't comprehend better. Sister Act is my favorite movie. and i didn't understand why in the heck the dog that my aunt and uncle adopted, why his name was captain jack sparrow...where in the world did someone come up with that. enough said.)

At this juncture in my life, I am realizing and believing more than ever that on days when you don't know what tomorrow will hold, or when people are doubting you, or when you have to make a decision between two radically different things, that you have to simply believe in yourself, your abilities, your talents, and your purpose in life. nothing is a coincidence. everything and everyone has it's reason for being in your life, and it's up to us to use them for the betterment of the world and one another, and to build, not break, stronger relationships with everyone in our circle of friends and family.

side note: tomorrow is June 1st. where did May go? and my TCU Frogs are headed to Austin for the super-regional. College World Series anyone? Hope so!!!

.to a beautiful life.

1 comment:

D said...

Super-Regional...YES! I hope I can find time in my schedule for a trip to Austin. Awesome post! I struggle with the concept of destiny, for ego can get in the way at times. I admire and appreciate your perspective. Thanks for sharing, and thanks for using "shenanigans." It's such an great word.